Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The BEST Pancake Recipe! Bonus they are Gluten Free!



In changing our diets I have always striven to find substitutions that would comparable to all of our old family favorites.  Sometimes to the frustration of my husband.  "You paid what!?!" or I send him to the store for one of the regular items "I can't believe you buy that, product x is too expense, I will not get that for you.  You are just going to have to do without."  Well you the drill... I'll save that for another post.  Back to the "Pan-a-cakes"...

One of those favorites is pancakes.  Pancakes have always been a treat on days we have more time.  I would use Bisquick Mix as the base and let the love flow from my fingers into the other ingredients to make buttermilk pancakes.  Each person felt the warmth of my love as the treat melted in their mouth.  Soon four little plates would have circles of maple syrup and smooshed pancake pieces, the only evidence that we had pancakes in the house.  Those yummy treats of deliciousness were now deep in our tummies.
I stumbled onto these pancakes almost two years ago.  My cousin came to stay with us for a long weekend.  Her husband and two girls were a delight to have around.  And I wanted to make them some pancakes.  When better to try out a new recipe – When you have company…  Everyone liked them.


So we have been making these pancakes since last summer.  They are the best pancakes I have ever made.  Seriously - they really are!
I have made a few changes to the original recipe from Carol Fensters Cookbook, 1,000 Gluten Free Recipes.  What I use follows.

2 cup Carol’s Sorghum Blend
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp xanthum gum
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 cup of coconut milk, with 1 Tbl lemon juice mixed together (buttermilk)
4 Tbl coconut oil melted (or other butter substitute)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

1.     Mix the dry ingredients together with a whisk
2.     Slowly whisk in the wet ingredients.  I often add an extra milk to thin them out.
3.     Bake as you would any other pancake.
4.     Enjoy with real maple syrup or any homemade concoction.  We love them with blueberry syrup made that morning in our blentec.


Pancake with Homemade Blueberry Syrup  - Yuummmm


This Saturday our 10yo, E, exclaimed “These are the best pancakes ever!”  I’m so happy that the biggest skeptic of the dietary change loves them.
Enjoy!!



2 comments:

  1. The above given recipe is really very nice. It is easy and tastes good. Thanks for such a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I glad you enjoyed the recipe. It is very simple and something everyone loves!

    ReplyDelete